Saturday, April 25, 2015

Barnes & Noble Meet & Greet: old and new

If you're like me, authors make the best celebrities. They are ultra cool, ultra talented and my kind of peeps. They always have been...and not just because I'm a writer.

In fact, I remember my first author meet and greet way, way back in the day. I was a tiny little girl with blonde pigtails and dirty hands from mucking around in the back yard with my sister. That is, unless we were tucked into bed, clean and reading a book. For years, we had no television--no, I'm not THAT old--we just didn't have one. My sister and I would read, roller skate, read, listen to music, read, climb trees, dig in the garden and read.  It's what we did. It's who we were.

Rewind to one sunny California day when my mom took us to the book store. I have no idea what the name of it was, but I remember the man with rough, warm hands who greeted my sister and I with a big grin.

Louis L'Amour

Years later, in the summer between ninth and tenth grade, I read every one of his books in my dad's leather bound collection.

He's probably the reason I love cowboys.

He's certainly the reason that this Saturday will be so special to me, as I will be in his shoes--though mine are certainly much smaller on many levels.

I can only hope as I sit at a table in Barnes & Noble with other Minnesota authors that I can be as warm and welcoming as he was all those years ago.

I can only hope that my words will mean something to someone.

Louis L'Amour, this weekend is for you. It is me paying it forward in a way I never dreamed possible.

 
Please join me on Saturday, May 2nd, at the Maple Grove Barnes & Noble from 2:00-4:00pm.
(8040 Wedgewood Lane North)
Meet and greet new or favorite authors.
Get a signed copy of Whispering Minds and/or other amazing summer reads.
 
 
 
 

No comments: